General Multiple Sclerosis
The following area of research is currently being considered with a focus on Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- MS and its treatment in special populations, i.e. geriatric or pediatric patients, family planning, LGBTQ+ patients, underrepresented populations
Research support is awarded on a highly competitive basis, and submission of research proposals in this area of interest does not guarantee support will be awarded.
Biogen MS therapies include the following products.
- Disease Modifying Therapies
SC and IM Peginterferon beta-1a
IM Interferon beta-1a
- Symptomatic Therapies
Prolonged-release fampridine (ex-USA)
The following areas of research are currently being considered with a focus on
- Studies deciphering the neuroprotective potential of dimethyl fumarate
- Studies deciphering how dimethyl fumarate may cause lymphopenia
- Comparative effectiveness as assessed by PROs, quality of life, workability, treatment satisfaction and/or adherence vs newer DMTs in the treatment of naïve and/or switch patients
- Studies deciphering how diroximel fumarate may cause lymphopenia
- Examination of long-term outcomes
Peginterferon beta-1a and Interferon beta-1a:
- Real world effectiveness, safety and tolerability vs. other platform MS therapies
General MS Therapies:
- Real world comparative effectiveness, switching and sequencing strategies, and adherence to therapies.
Out of scope:
- Biomarker studies to identify specific responder populations among patients treated with MS therapies
- Studies on MS therapy MoA
Research support is awarded on a highly competitive basis, and submission of research proposals in these areas of interest does not guarantee support will be awarded.
Funding for studies related to Spinal Muscular Atrophy has been fulfilled for 2023. Areas of research for 2024 will be posted later.